Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man.” I was cupbearer to the king.
Nehemiah 1:11 NIV
How would you feel if you were employed in a palace? And that too in a very important position. So important that the king trusted you with his life. Nehemiah was a cupbearer to the King of Persia – Artaxerxes – the son of Xerxes. Trust was hard to find even in those days. One of the cupbearer’s duties was to choose and taste the king’s wine to make sure it wasn’t poisoned. So the king relied on Nehemiah.
History says that Xerxes the father of Artaxerxes I was killed in his own bedchamber by a courtier. But Nehemiah was a worshipper of the true God. So when he heard that there was a problem back home in his city he prayed to the Lord Almighty. After a period of 4 months of earnest praying and fasting he approached his earthly master the king for permission. Even though Nehemiah was a favorite of the king, he would not have rashly blurted out his request.
The king noticed that Nehemiah was sad. No matter what your personal problems were, the king’s servants were expected to keep their feelings to themselves and always be cheerful in his presence. Nehemiah could lose his job or even be killed for this behavior.
When Nehemiah honestly tells the king the reason for his sadness, the king not only gives him permission to go but also gave him letters to all the provinces which Nehemiah would have to pass through to get to his destination. The king also gave him the wood and other materials required to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. Nehemiah thanked God for answering his prayers!
1) Nehemiah first recognises that there is a problem. Then he prays about it. Nehemiah knew his God is greater than his master the king.
2) Then Nehemiah confessed his sins and the sins of all the people of Israel as they had disobeyed God and were now in bondage by the ungodly nations.
3) Next he carefully inspected the walls himself and planned how to go about with the task of rebuilding. And yes he prayed about it too.
God wants us to pray and be specific about what we need. Also when we commune with our creator it’s important to know and believe that God knows the situation – the past, present and future.
Nehemiah was consistent in his prayer life. Chapter 9 and verses 5 to 38 of the book of Nehemiah is the longest prayer in the Bible! God worked miraculously and the walls were built in just 52 days! Inspite of opposition not only from the outside but also from the inside.
The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.
1 Thessalonians 5:24 NIV
Thanks for reading and God bless!😇
He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Psalms 23:3 ESV
It was God who brought us back to him. We as sinners had lost our way. Like sheep without a shepherd.
He revived our souls. Our sinful bodies are still being RESTORED and this process will be completed when we see our Savior return.
As King David says in this verse God leads and guides us. Being a shepherd himself, David knew how sheep behaved. How they tend to get lost and carried away.
Restoration in a way means to make whole again. We were broken, shattered by sin. GOD RESTORED US!
1. TO REVIVE – We were dead in our sins. God brought us back to life when we put our faith in the finished work of Lord Jesus Christ.
When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,
Colossians 2:13 NIV
2. TO RENEW – We are now a new creation! The old has gone!
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
3. TO REFRESH – Just like soothing your throat with a refreshing lime juice, God has refreshed your souls which was dry and parched without the Life giving Water.
I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.”
Jeremiah 31:25 NIV
Restoration brings REST, it gives you a certain kind of peace.
When you are RESTORED you can be filled again!
If today you feel far from God, it’s because you have let go of His hand. God wants you to come back to Him. Hold his hand again.
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
1 Peter 5:10 NIV
God always answers when you pray.
Sometimes with a yes, sometimes with a no.
Sometimes He answers immediately and sometimes He makes you wait.
Maybe a day or a week and maybe a year or more.
But He will always answer, even though you may not know.
Praying is more about thanking God rather than asking.
Remember to pray for more of what you need, less of what you want.
Pray for forgiveness, pray for wisdom,
Not only for yourself, but for others too.
Prayer can work wonders, prayer can heal,
Prayer is that glimmer of hope when all seems lost.
Prayer can move mountains, prayer can bring peace.
Prayer is the answer for all your needs.
Getting from point A to point B is easier if you know the route. If you don’t there’s always the option of “asking for directions”.
In our spiritual life as well we sometimes come to a crossroads. Thankfully we have God’s written Word as a manual for daily living.
Yes, we ask God for guidance in different areas of our lives, but are sometimes hesitant to follow what He says.
It’s dangerous to ask God for instructions unless you’re willing to follow them.
Be willing to surrender to God. Let Him be your guide.
The best atmosphere for PRAYER is PRAISE!
Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises to our King, sing praises.
Psalm 47:6 NIV
Have you observed how a chameleon “changes” it’s color? Or how a cuttlefish transforms itself to “look like” sand in order to catch it’s meal?
Human beings are not very different. People change their “colors” sometimes very easily in certain situations. Even those who call themselves Christians. Some even “look like” followers of Jesus Christ. But in difficulties and tough circumstances depend on their own strength or others instead of God.
But as true and believing Christians we can have solace in the fact that our creator God and Saviour Lord Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8 NIV)
God has promised to be with us at all times.
We have a quadruple assurance!
1. The Lord himself goes before you
2. he will be with you;
3. he will never leave you
4. nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV
Encouraging verses in the Old Testament on the same topic:-
1. He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a human being, that he should change his mind.” (1 Samuel 15:29 NIV)
2. God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? (Numbers 23:19 NIV)
Hope this thought encourages you today and everyday!
Have a blessed day and week ahead.
God bless you….😇💕💞
A very good and important read.
Waking up to a new day with my first thought “Thank you Lord for keeping me alive!”
I believe that God has a plan for me. I may not know it yet. But I’m glad that He is in control and I can rest on Him.
Everything around me reminds me that there is a source of life. The breath we breathe is given by God. So don’t let anyone or anything hinder you from living for the Lord.
Every new day is one day closer to our Saviour’s return. What a blessed and glorious hope! And yes, every new day is another opportunity to work for the Lord and tell everyone what God has done in our lives.
May His name be glorified….
1. CONFESS – Repentance is the first step of Christianity. You have to first realise that without God you are nothing, without God you can do nothing. It is only by God’s grace we can be saved. Conviction of sin leads to confession. (Acts 2:38)
2. LOVE – Once we know God we learn to LOVE Him (1John 4:8) because God himself is Love. His love is eternal and pure. Our love for God is within our understating, limited to a certain extent. Because God loves us we can love others.
3. OBEY – If we truly love God we will obey Him. ( John 14:15) If anyone obeys God’s Word, God’s love is truly made complete in him.(John 2:5) If we claim to obey God’s Word we must act and live according to it.
4. RELY – If we love and obey God, we will rely upon Him and trust in Him at all times. Especially during the bad and difficult times. At times we may falter but God is ever ready to accept us when we go back to Him.
May God give you and me His grace to stand firm till the very end.